Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. When is the application deadline?
The deadline to apply to the School is December 1, 2015 for fellowship applicants and non-fellowship applicants. Please see the Admissions page for more information.

2. How can I use my degree?
The GHE program was established in 1999 under the name Health, Environment, and Development (HED). Graduates of the program are currently employed at a variety of organizations including private consulting, USEPA, WHO, and the California Air Resources Board. See theĀ links page for more information. Some GHE graduates have gone on to pursue doctoral degrees in Environmental Health, Environmental Engineering, and Medicine.

3. What are you looking for in a GHE student?
Bright, motivated, energetic individuals interested in the environment, health, and development. Given the program’s global emphasis with research occurring internationally (countries have included Guatemala, China, India, Uganda, and Thailand, for example), we especially welcome international students and those with experience working and living in developing countries. To date, international students in the program have come from Nepal, India, Nicaragua, and Canada.

GHE students have come from diverse backgrounds such as engineering, environmental science, environmental biology, cultural psychology, chemistry and related medical fields.

4. What kind of interests do GHE students have?
Given the group’s diversity, students are interested in a wide range of topics. Please see the Student Research page for more information and to view Master’s Project abstracts from alumni. Some areas of research include the following:

  • environmental impact & risk assessment
  • chemical contaminants
  • utilization of geographic information systems (GIS)
  • waterborne and airborne infectious pathogens
  • burden of disease assessment

5. What about funding?
An upper-division grade-point average of at least 3.5 is required to apply for a merit-based graduate fellowship. Applicants seeking a graduate fellowship or scholarship awarded by the Graduate Division must file the combined application for admission and fellowship by Dec 1, 2015.

International applicants must provide documentation that they will have sufficient financial support to complete the requested program of study. International students in need of financial support should contact international sponsoring organizations and their Ministries of Health regarding the possibility of fellowships or scholarship aid.

Please see the School of Public Health admissions website for more information Financial Aid & Fees

6. What makes the GHE program different from the MPH?

The MPH is a professional degree. There is an internship required for completion of the MPH and a comprehensive exam. The focus of the GHE, which is a MS degree, is more research focused. In addition to the standard EHS requirements, emphasis is placed on development trends, economics, and policy especially with applications to the developing world. GHE students are highly encouraged to perform research internationally. A 40-60 page masters project is required for GHE. For specific details on GHE course requirements and information on both the academic and professional degrees offered through Environmental Health Sciences read through theĀ student handbooks.