GHE students pursue research in a variety of areas, including indoor air pollution (particulate matter and carbon monoxide) in Guatemala, India, China and Mongolia; pesticides in the San Francisco Bay area; food security in Kenya; and chemical regulation in California. See below for recent student research abstracts.
View GHE Project Map in a larger map
Research Summaries and Publications from Recent Graduates of the GHE Program
– Graham Flitz, 2016
Field Emissions of the TurboPatsari Insert: Can the Popular Be Made Clean– David Molmen, 2016
Temperature, Rainfall, and Diarrheal Disease in South India Children- Andrew Mertens, 2016
– Kate Vavra-Musser, 2015
The Biofuel Autoclave: A Medical Waste Solution for the Developing World? – Sarina Arnold, 2015
- “The Biofuel Autoclave: A low cost, non-electric solution to infectious medical waste” – Health Care Without Harm
Small shot, big deal: Unrecognized perceptions of the use of injectable contraception in India – Anne Berg Villumsen, 2013
Assessing and mapping determinants of vulnerability to heat waves in San Francisco – Courtney Smith, 2011
Profile of Electronic Waste Workers in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire – Georgia Green, 2011
- “Spotlight Georgia Green: Effects of Exported E-Waste” – Berkeley Health Magazine, Fall 2011
- Dix-Cooper L, et al. “Neurodevelopmental performance among school age children in rural Guatemala is associated with prenatal and postnatal exposure to carbon monoxide, a marker for exposure to woodsmoke.” NeuroToxicology (2011), doi:10.1016/j.neuro.2011.09.004. Web published version with supplement.
- “Pneumonia linked to smoke from cooking fires; Prenatal maternal exposure to woodsmoke also hurts kids’ IQs” – CBC News, November 10, 2011
Coliform Bacteria in the Drinking Water of Highland Communities in Rural Guatemala – Andrew Slocombe, 2010
Research in the Genes and Environment Laboratory, concentrating on invitro genotoxic assays. – Michele Fromowitz, 2010
- Fromowitz M, et al. “Studies on the Genotoxicity of 2,5-Dimethylfuran, a Potential Biofuel” Poster presented as part of the Society of Toxicology Annual National Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2010.
An Analysis of Black Carbon and Health Effects – Swati Sharma, 2010
Enhancing Exposure Assessment through Improved Markov Chain Indoor Air Pollution Models – Surakshya Dhakal, 2009
Ambient Air Quality Standards in Developing Countries – Candace Vahlsing
Air Pollution and Agricultural Burning – Rebecca Kehrer
- Cowlin S, Kaufmann RB, Edwards R, Smith KR. “Impact of Improved Stoves on Indoor Air Quality in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia.” Energy Sector Management Assistance Program 2005.
- Pokhrel AK, Smith KR, Khalakdina A, Deuja A, Bates MN. “Case-control study of indoor cooking smoke exposure and cataract in Nepal and India.” International Journal of Epidemiology 2005; 34: 702-708. doi:10.1093/ije/dyi015
Pediatric respiratory health effects of ambient air pollution, May 2003 – Jennifer Slotnick
Assessing & modeling exposure to indoor air pollution among rural women in Guatemala, February 2003 – Lisa Thompson
Presented at the Global Health Council Conference, Washington, D.C., May 2003
An analysis of pesticide information systems, May 2003 – Rachel Turner Williams
Assessment of Cement Dust Concentrations and Noise Levels in a Cement Plant in Nicaragua – Aneilka Gonzalez Webb